The town of Elgin, in the north of eastern Scotland, is considered "the world capital of whisky". It is here that in 1895 was founded the Gordon & Macphail, by James Gordon and John Alexander McPhail.
Their intuition was to combine the typical "drugstore" with the wine and liquor store, combining two distinct commercial activities and becoming in fact, for what concerns the whisky, the pioneers of the single malt market outside the Highlands. Their choices, immediately proved to be more than apt: selecting and buying the best new whiskies directly from the producer, then aging them in the best kegs and finally bottling them at the most opportune time, the Gordon & Macphail dominated the Single malt market in years 1955-1985, recognizing for its complex and elegant style. Today the company, capitalizing on the excellent relationships that has been able to establish with all the Scottish distilleries, is found with an immense and diversified reserve of whisky in its warehouses, and continues to be present on the market with prestige and authority.